River in Canyon

River in Canyon
River in Canyon

Poem by Coyote @CoyoteSing

down a dirt road
I barely remember
how deep I must go
into this canyon
to find the river

Poem shared courtesy
of @CoyoteSing

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Into The Darkness




Can you imagine?! He had the key! And he was going to show me where the tunnel is! Too good to be true! (Bless you, Jerry Dennison! That's his name. Great guy!) I looked around me as he went to his house to fetch the key. Where could the tunnel possibly be???

When he came back he led my husband and me to a place we'd never imagined. See that little building over there - the wood frame one by the river behind that fence? Believe it or not that's where the tunnel entrance is! My heart sank. Surely this couldn't be the tunnel entrance in my picture! How could it be? But I still felt that I was right and that this is where my family had been. I felt such a mixture of emotions as we walked to the little building. I was so sure - but this little building??? Jerry's not home today or I'd get him to take us in there. Maybe another day....

Jerry lead us through the fence and opened the door and we walked in. There they were again...goosebumps! He explained that the little building had been built to cover the entrance. I saw nothing resembling a tunnel entrance. Ahead of us was only dark...and then I heard something else...water. Up ahead somewhere beyond us I could hear the sound of water lapping. Goosebumps were getting bigger. I began to take pictures. Then Jerry offered to close the doors behind us so that I could take pictures without the light behind us. The doors closed and we stood there in the pitch black darkness listening to that sound of lapping water. I can still see it and feel it. I can't describe it very well. It was an incredible experience. It was silent except for the water. Tears ran down my face. I forgot about my husband and Jerry standing there with me. If I had been by myself I knew I still wouldn't have been alone. I felt presences here. How can I begin to explain? Have you ever seen Ghost Whisperer? There have been moments when Melinda has had a group of white beings gathered around her - friendly spirits. I don't mean to be trite but that's the best description I can offer. I felt surrounded by friendly spirits. It was a warm, comforting, beautiful experience. The thought that jumped into my head was "The ancestors are smiling."


I believe that. Irish eyes were smiling - from somewhere beyond - looking down and nodding in approval. In a way I'd come home. I'd found a special hidden secret place. I didn't really need any proof or any documentation. I knew I'd found THE tunnel. I knew it. We'd walked into the darkness and found a portal to the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment